Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
March 6: Favorite Book Quotes
I am so terrible with remembering to stop and write down quotes that strike me but here are a few that have stuck with me, for various reasons.
Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war – Caesar, Shakespeare
Whew… this one gets me. I think it might be due, in part, to hearing it my entire life and then finally reading Shakespeare’s Caesar. When Antony says this, it is with such passion, such frustration, and love, and of course hatred for those that killed Caesar, that I actually cried. Full on tears! I get choked up half the time when I just randomly hear it now. It’s such a passionate moment in Caesar and I feel so bad for Antony and what he has to go through while dealing with those that killed Caesar. I’m getting chills just writing about this.
The Martian by Andy Weir
The Martian is another book that really struck feelings with me. While reading I had so many feelings about so many things! I loved that there was this genius that was able to be sarcastic in the face of true danger. He laughed and moved on instead of curling into a ball and crying. Honestly, that’s probably what I would have done. Also, I’m not great at math, so I would have been screwed. My top quotes from The Martian are:
- Things are finally going my way. In fact, things are going great. I have a chance to live after all. Log entry: sol 37: I AM FUCKED AND I’M GOING TO DIE!
- Well, my math is a fucking liar.
- Dammit, Jim, I’m a botanist, not a chemist!
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Oh, I cannot say enough how much I resonated with this book! First of all, the 80’s references were to die for. I was in love with every one. Then we have a guy that plays on the internet and although he does go to school is searching for the answer to a quest. This was my type of story. When I read this, the second quote made me spit out my drink when it said The Pepsi Challenge!
- Going outside is highly overrated.
- Continue your quest by taking the test
Yes, but what test? What test was I supposed to take? The Kobayashi Maru? The Pepsi Challenge? Could the clue have been any more vague?”
Terry Pratchett Quotes
This guy was brilliant both in and out of his writing. The quotes that I’ve seen just from him talking, are fabulous. I just want to save everything. But here are a few of my favorites!
- If cats looked like frogs we’d realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That’s what people remember. – Lords and Ladies
- Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It’s the difference between using a feather and using a chicken.- Eric
- There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there a few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be.
Are there any quotes that have stuck with you?