I received this book for free from Author in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Vengeance is Mine by Harry James Krebs
Series: Benjamin Tucker #1
Published by Peak City Publishing on January 30th 2014
Genres: Mystery, Thriller
Driven by a traumatic, violent event in his teenage years, Benjamin Tucker, bestselling true crime author, is obsessed with helping authorities solve savage crimes near his home turf of Holly Springs, North Carolina. When a series of decapitated female victims is found in neighboring communities, he is helplessly drawn in to the investigation to help bring the killer to justice. But in a bizarre twist of events, the psychopathic murderer becomes fascinated with Tucker and stalks him, presenting him with unimaginable, grotesque gifts. The hunt for the killer turns personal and Tucker isn’t sure if he’s become the killer’s idol or his next victim.
Vengeance is Mine, a gripping thriller with a healthy dose of droll humor, is a tale of sadistic revenge guaranteed to keep readers on the edge of their seats until the very last page.
For a book that got my attention straight away, I’m surprised how much thriller was behind this. Maybe I’m actually starting to like thriller!
This particular thriller did grab my attention straight away. And then there were a few hiccups along the way. Here’s the ups and downs:
- I like Benjamin. He’s snarky and intelligent and just sounds like an interesting guy to know. He really cares about his friends and family, even if the cops keep pegging him for a killer!
- Roberta! I think other than Oscar (who is a dog and I just love, love, love him) that Roberta may be my favorite character. Also snarky but underneath that crabby atmosphere is one awesome lady who cooks!! Can I have a Roberta in my life, please!!?
- As mentioned above, Oscar! Every scene with Oscar made my life better.
- Jack Plum! I love an interesting bad guy. I was really curious about him the entire book. He’s devious and kept the police on their toes! But more than just a bad guy he gets under Ben’s skin.
- The plot was pretty good but there were instances where Harry James Krebs puts in some background information. A lot of these times I felt like they slowed down the story. I just wanted to get to the meat!
- As much as I like Ben, I don’t get that guy. Who goes around kissing other women? If he kissed ONE more girl this might have turned into a DNF but he held strong. Barely… !!!
All in all as a thriller this was quite good. I loved the mystery behind everything and just as I was starting to think I knew it all, Harry James Krebs would pull the rug out! Awesome! And this is only part 1, makes me very curious about what is next in Ben’s life. Better not be more women!
Krebs always wanted to write mystery novels, but his engineering career left him little time to write until now. His first novel, Fractured Persona, is based on a recurring dream where he would wake up in someone else’s body and life.
The author and his wife currently live in Raleigh, North Carolina with their Chihuahua, Lucille.